- HALFMORTON, a parish, in the county of Dumfries, 6 miles (N. W.) from Longtown; containing 737 inhabitants. This place derives its name from its having formed part of the ancient parish of Morton, of which, on its suppression in the early part of the 17th century, one-half was merged in the parish of Canobie, and the other, named Halfmorton, though still remaining as a parish quoad civilia, was ecclesiastically united to the parish of Wauchope. On the subsequent erection of Wauchope and Staplegorton into the present parish of Langholm, in 1703, the minister of that parish officiated only every fourth Sabbath at Halfmorton, which, in 1839, was consequently disjoined from Langholm by a decree of the Court of Teinds, and erected into an independent parish. Halfmorton is situated in the south-eastern part of the county, and is bounded on the east by the river Sark, which separates it from Cumberland; it comprises an area of about 5700 acres, of which 125 are woodland and plantations, 400 moss, and the remainder chiefly arable, with a due proportion of meadow and pasture. The surface is agreeably diversified, and the scenery embellished with thriving plantations. The Sark is the principal river, and a small stream called the Logan flows through the parish; in both these are found trout, but not in great abundance.The soil along the banks of the river is deep and rich, and the arable grounds produce valuable crops: there are considerable tracts of peat-moss. The system of agriculture is improved, and the lands have been drained and partly inclosed. The pastures are stocked with sheep of the Cheviot breed, and with black-cattle; a considerable number of horses are reared, mostly for agricultural uses, and on some of the farms great numbers of swine are fed. The substrata are chiefly red sandstone, clay, and gravel; and limestone is found in several places. The rateable annual value of the parish is £3176. The only approximation to a village is the small hamlet of Chapelknowe, in which the church is situated: a few persons are employed in hand-loom weaving for the manufacturers of Carlisle. There are a subscription library, and also one belonging to the church. Facility of communication is afforded by roads kept in good order by statute labour. The ecclesiastical affairs are under the superintendence of the presbytery of Langholm and synod of Dumfries. The minister's stipend is about £200; patrons, the Crown, and the Duke of Buccleuch, alternately. The church, a plain structure built in 1744, and containing 212 sittings, has been recently enlarged. There is a place of worship in connexion with the Free Church. The parochial school is well conducted; the master has a salary of £25. 13., with a house and garden, and the fees average £30 annually. There are no remains of the ancient church of Morton; but the churchyard is still used.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
Graitney — GRAITNEY, vulgarly called Gretna, a parish, in the county of Dumfries, 9½ miles (N. by W.) from Carlisle, and 309 (N. W. by N.) from London; containing, with the village of Springfield, 1761 inhabitants. The derivation of the name of this… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Kirkpatrick-Fleming — KIRKPATRICK FLEMING, a parish, in the county of Dumfries, 6 miles (E. N. E.) from Annan; containing, with the hamlet of Newton, and the village of Fairyhall with Hollee, 1692 inhabitants. This parish derives its appellation from the celebrated … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Langholm — LANGHOLM, a burgh of barony and a parish, in the county of Dumfries; containing, with the village of New Langholm, 2820 inhabitants, of whom 1305 are in the burgh, 18 miles (N. E. by N.) from Annan, and 20½ (N.) from Carlisle. This place… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland